|Serenity Deck on Carnival Sunshine Courtesy CCL|
This is amongst the largest re-makes in the cruise industry and certainly the largest undertaking for a Carnival cruise ship. See what you think...
Inaugural Voyage Not All Sunshine
When the revitalized Carnival Sunshine set sail from Venice on its inaugural 12-Night Mediterranean voyage on May 5th, there still was some work to be done to totally complete the transformation. It wasn't until 3 days before the cruise ended that the new WaterWorks Aqua Park was opened to the public. The Rope Course was another feature that was unavailable until near the end of the voyage.
Since Mediterranean cruises are so sightseeing intensive, there might not have been a lot of time to enjoy the facilities on board the ship anyway, but Carnival did the right thing and compensated passengers with a $150 on board credit.
Was It Worth the Wait?
The $155M transformation had originally been slated to be completed by April, but the Carnival Triumph fire that left that ship stranded had a cascading effect on the entire Carnival fleet. President and CEO Gerry Cahill promised to increase operating redundancies, emergency power and fire prevention, detection and suppression systems fleetwide, so the dry-dock was extended to complete that work on the new Carnival Sunshine.
Read more about the delays: Carnival Triumph & Sunshine Returns Delayed
Carnival Sunshine becomes the first ship in the Carnival fleet to have all of the Fun Ship 2.0 features as well as the first ship to deploy the new safety improvements making it an ideal ship for your next vacation at sea.
- A fleet first: Carnival Sunshine's WaterWorks area introduces Speedway Splash, featuring two lanes of long-distance waterslide racing action.
- With a brand-new Cloud 9 Spa, plus 95 brand-new Cloud 9 Spa Staterooms, Carnival Sunshine practically floats on air!
- Carnival Sunshine's Serenity Adults-Only Retreat spans three decks, which means relaxation on a whole new level... or two, actually.
- Hungry for something new? Carnival Sunshine will feature 10 dining venues that are either brand-new or completely redesigned.
- Even with all the added decks, staterooms and fun features, Carnival Sunshine's weight will only grow by about 1% (from 101,353 to 102,853 tons).
- 3,006 passenger capacity, 1,150 onboard crew, 893 length in feet
|Click for Carnival Sunshine Sailings|