Friday, January 2, 2009

Galapagos - Fernandina Island (Day 7 Afternoon)

Ferandina Island 100_9661
click images to enlarge
As I mentioned in a previous post, my husband and I split up for the afternoon excursions on day 7. Since I had stubbed my toe in the morning, I didn’t think I’d be able to do any extensive hiking. Here is what I missed by not doing the high intensity activity.

Arriving by Zodiac on Fernandina Island, the group was met by a curious sea lion who was walking along the concrete dock landing area. After stopping for a photo opportunity, they continued along the path where they met the first of many Marine Iguanas which populate the island. In fact, Fernandina Island has one of the largest "colonies" of iguanas in the archipelago.



The Marine Iguanas don't seem to be bothered by humans at all. Walking along the volcanic terrain several groups of iguanas were spotted "hanging out" together. The scene looked like a typical beach scene with all the natives close together sunning themselves. The iguanas also liked congregating by the poles that marked the trail. In some areas, they were looking out to sea. You have to wonder what they were thinking about as they gazed upon the group or when they simply looked out into the sea.

Good hiking shoes and a walking stick are very helpful on Fernandina Island. The terrain varies between crushed volcanic rock and very uneven volcanic rock. Despite the uneven terrain, it is not very difficult to navigate around the island.

In addition to the iguanas, which were plentiful, there were several sea lions and Flightless Comorants. Sally Lightfood and other species of Crabs could also be found along the path.




Day 7 was another fantastic day in the Galapagos. Despite my injury in the morning, both my husband and I were able to explore this very interesting island and the surrounding area.







Click on the image to the left for more Blog posts about this trip.

No comments: