Thursday, April 12, 2018

Books at Sea

Drop Everything and Read Day
click images to enlarge


Harper Collins Publishers promotes April 12th as Drop Everything and Read Day (D.E.A.R.).

They cite reading a book as more enjoyable than any other task (like chores) and encourage people of all ages to 'drop' what they are doing and grab a book to read.

One of the great things about reading is that you can do so anywhere, even on a cruise ship (which is the focus of the rest of this post).

My sea day routine typically starts with me eating breakfast in the buffet and then camping out on deck reading a book.  I prefer to find a comfy lounge chair, somewhere in the shade, on one of the pool decks. On rainy days, I'll camp out in one of the lounges on upper decks of the ship, overlooking the water.

Tip:  take turns (with traveling companion) having lunch, so that you don't have to pack up your things or find another chair after you are finished with lunch.

Forgot Your Books - Don't Worry

When you were packing your bags for your cruise vacation, books may have been the last thing on your mind.  Did you forget your books?  There is no need to worry as most ships have a library on board.   Shown here is the library on Princess Cruises' Sapphire Princess.   We sailed on her earlier this year and I took full advantage of the library.

We had several sea days during our 15 night voyage in Southeast Asia.  I packed three paperback books.  Yes, I still enjoy the feel of paper as I'm reading.   Paperbacks are my preference as they are smaller and lighter to pack.   I usually pack one or two in my carryon for reading on the plane as well.

On this particular cruise, we had a sea day right away.   I started reading one of my books and it didn't take long before I completed it.   On to my next book...

We had an unexpected change in itinerary due to high seas in the China Sea, so we were in port an extra day which we converted into another sea day.   Within the first few days on the ship, I'd read all the books that I'd brought with me.  Again, not to worry - the library on the ship is just like any other back home.  You can check out books for the duration of your cruise.  Most ships have a selection of hardcover and paperback books as well as games and other resources which can be checked out.

Book Exchange

The majority of ships that I've sailed also have a section for passenger book exchanging.   Just as it sounds,  you swap your read books for others that your fellow passengers left on the shelves.   On this cruise, I swapped books out several times.  This gives me the opportunity to pack light, but still have plenty to read during the cruise.  I've gotten exposed to new authors this way as well.

Electronic Age

Nowadays, "reading" may not entail holding onto a "paper" book at all.  You can bring an entire collection of books with you on your cruise, or download them as you go via the ship's Wi-Fi.  Of course, it would be cheaper to download them ahead of time.

Regardless of your preferred source of reading materials (paperback, hard-cover, or electronic) be sure to consider that among your packing essentials for your next cruise vacation, and enjoy reading at sea.  It can be very relaxing and enjoyable.


Click on the image to the left for more Blog posts about this trip.

Related Album:





Additional photos can be found on our Southeast Asia Shutterfly page

View Our Other Shutterfly Share Pages



Sign-up for Exclusive Email Offers


Where have you explored? 

Gather your travel and food pics and join us Wednesday night for the latest installment of #FoodTravelChat 

No comments: