The Grand Ducal Palace is a palace in Luxembourg City. It is the official residence of the Grand Duke of Luxembourg, and where he performs most of his duties as head of state of the Grand Duchy. There were no guards present which means the Grand Duke was not in residence when we were there.
|click images to enlarge|
After walking around for awhile, several passengers were looking for a water closet. Our guide directed us to the Chocolate House which had a WC downstairs. The stairs were very narrow and had enough room for only one person at a time.
The most prominent attractions include the "casemates" or bunkers, which are among the longest subterranean tunnels in the world. The casemates that once formed an extraordinary network of 23 km were carved into the rocks of the city and are a top attraction in Luxembourg City. Not only did they provide shelter for thousands of defenders with their equipment and horses, but they were also home to workshops of artillery and armaments, kitchens, bakeries, slaughterhouses, etc.
Chemin de la Corniche
Also called “the most beautiful balcony of Europe” (according to the Luxembourg writer Batty Weber), it runs along the Alzette valley on the ramparts - built by the Spaniards and the French in the 17th century - from the Bock Promontory up to the lower part of the Holy Ghost Citadel, the so-called “Rondellen”.
Up to the year 1870 the Corniche had staircases in steep parts which were leveled off only after the dismantling of the fortress. Moreover the greatest part of the protecting wall with its loopholes was cleared away so as to disclose a superb panorama on the valley of the Alzette, the city district of Grund and the Rham Plateau.
Place de la Constitution
The Constitution Square was put up on the ancient Beck bastion (1644, 1685). The "Gëlle Fra", a monument which is located on this square, was set up in 1923 to commemorate the Luxembourgers who perished in the First World War, today it sympolises freedom and resistance for the Luxembourg people.
From here you have a superb view over the Pétrusse Valley and the Adolphe Bridge.
The Old bridge – in common parlance – was built between 1859 and 1861 to cross the Pétrusse valley at a height of 45 metres.
It consists of 24 arches spanning either 8 or 15 m The total length is 290 metres whereas the slight curve in the middle is the result of military and strategic considerations.
etres and of pillars up to 30 metres high.
Additional photos can be found on our Rhine & Moselle Shutterfly page:
Follow us on Twitter: