|click images to enlarge|
This temporary transfer offers an exceptional and unprecedented opportunity to present, alongside Grünewald and Haguenau’s monumental masterwork, all three painted works by the Colmar native Martin Schongauer held in Colmar: the Orlier Altarpiece (1470–1475),
the Altarpiece of the Dominicans (c. 1480) and the Virgin at the Rose Bush (1473). The altarpiece depicting Saint Catherine and Saint Lawrence (c. 1510) and sculptures from the Late Middle Ages round out the presentation.
|Martin Schongauer's "Virgin at the Rose Bush"|
inside the Église des Dominicains
Colmar Dominican Church
Started in 1283, the construction of the Dominican church mainly dates back to the first half of the 14th century. It is an important example of the mendicant orders architecture, even if the Dominicans arrived in 1278 were temporarily driven out of the city in 1330. In 1458, the roof and the cloister were damaged by a fire. After that, reconstruction works have been necessary.
Additional photos can be found on our Rhine & Moselle Shutterfly page:
Click on the image to the left for more Blog posts about this trip.
Follow us on Twitter: