Norwegian Breakaway is the largest cruise ship to ever be constructed in Germany; therefore, it required very precise maneuvers in order to pass through the narrow passage of the initial locks. The ship, measuring 1063 feet long and 130 feet wide; only had 1.6 meters clearance on the starboard side when it passed through the locks. A team of two were in control of the maneuvers, one in control of the bow and one in control of the stern, to ensure that the passage took place at minimum speed and only placed minimum pressure on the bumpers that lined the inside of the locks.
It is an interesting sight to see a ship traveling backwards, but the reason for this is due to the strong propulsion in the aft section of the vessel. Therefore, traveling backwards, or stern first, helps with maneuverability which is a key component when navigating the vessel through such narrow passages.
Just announced: Norwegian Getaway will bring the excitement and allure of the Magic City to sea with an all-new entertainment experience, The Illusionarium. A first of its kind, the Illusionarium will envelop guests in the fascinating world of magic, inviting them to experience the astonishing illusions of world-class magicians and supernatural special effects! Also announced, Norwegian Getaway, like her sister ship, Norwegian Breakaway, will feature Fireworks at Sea, a five-slide Aqua Park and Three Story Sports Complex! Norwegian Getaway sets sail from Miami in February 2014!
Summary of Getaway's features:
- Illusionarium – Only Norwegian offers meals with amazement, where guests can enjoy an intimate dinner as world-class magicians perform in our unique round top venue
- Aqua Park – Features five multi-story waterslides including the fastest at sea, two thrilling drop slides, two main pools and four hot tubs
- Sports Complex – Like her sister ship, her three-story Sports Court will feature the largest ropes course at sea, basketball, rock wall, mini golf and more
- Fireworks Show – An environmentally-friendly pyrotechnics display will dazzle guests on the second to last night at sea each week
- Spice H20 - An Ibiza-inspired, adults-only beach club by day and outdoor dance club by night with a giant LED screen that projects vibrant visuals
Photos courtesy of Meyer Werft and Norwegian Cruise Line. Be sure to visit often as more news about these new ships is unveiled.