UPDATE: February 23, 2012 - Viking River Cruises Longships Update
Viking Freya, Viking Idun, Viking Njord and Viking Odin
Expertly designed by Yran & Storbraaten, designers of Disney Dream and several Yachts of Seabourn ships, these new vessels offer state-of-the-art engineering, design and luxury. The most notable difference will be true 2-room suites and full balconies.
If you have never done a river cruise before, you may not be aware that the river cruise ships are long, low, and narrow. This design is necessary so that the vessels can navigate the various rivers and the lock systems that are along the way. Because of this design, true balconies with a sitting area have been out of the question. The balconies on existing river cruise ships are French Balconies. Watch the video to see how the designers overcame obstacles to add full balconies to some of the staterooms.
PHOTOS (Click links below):
Introducing for 2012, the Viking Longships
Sneak Preview: 3D renderings of the new Viking Longships, debuting in Europe in 2012. Viking Freya, Viking Idun, Viking Njord and Viking Odin.
THE NEW VIKING LONGSHIPS...IN 3D! (click here)
Here are some of the highlights of the new Longships:
- Aquavit Terrace with an indoor/outdoor viewing area at the bow of the ship
- Two Explorer Suites with a private wraparound veranda and 270Â° views
- Veranda suites and staterooms with full outdoor balconies
- French balcony staterooms featuring floor-to-ceiling sliding glass doors
- Deluxe amenities like L'Occitane bath products and premium in-room entertainment packages—all included
- Quiet, environmentally friendly hybrid engines, plus solar panels and an organic herb garden
- The same fine cuisine, exemplary service and immersive, culture-rich itineraries you have come to expect from Viking